Thursday, November 17, 2011

Travelin

Sadly I don't get to travel all that often but like most people I really enjoy it when I do.  I finally married my long time love Christine Hochkeppel (now Healey!) and we decided to go all out with the honeymoon and head to Southern Spain and France.

I always have a hard time deciding on what to bring for a camera when I travel.  I love shooting photos, but it is also a job for me, so it's nice to just step away from the camera and experience life without that urge to document it.  I compromised with myself on this trip and just brought one body and one lens and two memory cards.  I decided to bring a beat up 1D Mark 2 body and the Sigma 30 1.4.  The combo makes for an interesting look.  The lens adds a touch of vignetting and allows me to really blow out the background with the shallow depth of field.  I also chose the combo because it's an older body that is nearing retirement.  It still works well and is weather sealed but if it somehow got away from me then it wouldn't have been a big loss. 

It turned out to be a good decision.  I had a lot of fun shooting and the lens was just wide enough and just fast enough to make it really versatile.  When I was not using it I just broke it down and packed it up in my backpack. 

So here are a few frames from our two week trip.  Enjoy.


Blog 111711 - Images by Matthew Healey

No comments: